Sunday, April 28, 2013

Done right, this is what 115 calories looks like...


So, I came across this recipe and thought I would try it.  I'm all about pre-preparing food for the week cause with twin teens there's not much spare time.  As long as you put these right on a cooling rack straight out of the oven, once they're cool, you can package them up in snack baggies and have them ready to pop into your lunch bag.  This is my second week making them and they kept nice and fresh all last week.  I reheat them in a toaster oven but I'm sure a microwave would be fine as well.

Here's my version of the recipe:

1 carton of egg whites (I used Crystal Farms "All Whites")
Whatever veggies you like (I browned some mushrooms and chopped up spinach)
PAM cooking spray
Reduced fat cheese
Mrs. Dash

Pre-heat the oven to 350
Spray muffin tins with PAM
Add veggies
Add egg whites (I filled mine all the way to the tippy top)

Bake for 30 minutes

Remove from muffin tin onto cooling rack (remember, this is the key to keeping them fresh for the week)

Top off with cheese and Mrs. Dash

Once the muffins are cooled off, pack them up into snack size baggies.  2 will fit into a bag and is considered one serving for 115 calories (obviously less if you leave off the cheese), 12 grams of protein, 2 carbs, and about 2.5 grams of fat depending on your cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment